1. Use lifesavers candy to hold candles in place on your
next birthday cake! Kids love 'em!
2. Poke an egg with a small sewing needle before hard-boiling & the egg will peel with ease! Hold that needle in place with a magnet refrigerator clip!
3. Stuff a miniature marshmallow in the bottom of a sugar cone to prevent ice cream drips!
4. Zap garlic cloves in the microwave for 15 seconds & the skins slip right off!
5. Organize your magazines into groups according to Seasons (Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter). This way, you have several handy reference guides for the appropriate Season/Holiday!
6. Use a meat baster to "squeeze" your pancake batter onto the hot griddle ~ perfect shaped pancakes every time!
7. Always spray your grill with non-stick cooking spray before grilling to avoid sticking!
8. To keep potatoes from budding, place an apple in the bag with the potatoes!
9. To prevent egg shells from cracking, add a pinch of salt to the water before hard-boiling!
10. Use a pastry blender to cut ground beef into small pieces after browning!
11. Sweeten whipped cream with confectioners' sugar instead of granulated sugar ~ it will stay fluffy & hold it's shape better!
12. For easy "meatloaf mixing", combine the ingredients with a potato masher!
13. If you don't have enough batter to fill all cupcake tins, pour 1 tablespoon of water into the unfilled spots ~ this helps preserve the life of your pans!
14. To easily remove honey from a measuring spoon, first coat the spoon with nonstick cooking spray!
15. Run your hands under cold water before pressing Rice Krispies treats in the pan ~ the marshmallow won't stick to your fingers!
16. Mash & freeze ripe bananas, in one-cup portions, for use in later baking~no wasted bananas (or you can freeze them whole, peeled, in plastic baggies)
17. To quickly use that frozen juice concentrate, simply mash it with a potato masher~no need to wait for it to thaw!
18. To get the most juice out of fresh lemons, bring them to room temperature & roll them under your palm against the kitchen counter before squeezing!
19. To easily remove burnt-on food from your skillet, simply add a drop or two of dish soap and enough water to cover bottom of pan, and bring to a boil on stove-top ~ skillet will be much easier to clean!
20. Spray your tupperware with non-stick cooking spray before pouring in tomato-based sauces ~ no more stains!
21. Transfer your jelly to a small plastic squeeze bottle ~ no more messy, sticky jars or knives! This also works well for homemade salad dressing!
22. To aid in washing dishes, add a tablespoon of baking soda to your soapy water ~ it softens hands while cutting through grease!
23. Save your store-bought bread bags & ties ~ they make perfect storage bags for homemade bread!
24. When a cake recipe calls for flouring the baking pan, use a bit of the dry cake mix instead ~ no white mess on the outside of the cake!
25. If you accidentally over-salt a dish while it's still cooking, drop in a peeled potato ~ it absorbs the excess salt for an instant "fix me up"!
26. Next time you need a quick ice pack, grab a bag of frozen vegetables out of your freezer ~ no watery leaks from a plastic baggie!
27. When making bread, substitute non-dairy creamer for the dry milk ~ it works just as well!
28. Rinse cooked, ground meat with water when draining off the fat ~ this helps "wash away" even more fat!
29. Slicing meat when partially frozen makes it easier to get thin slices.
30. Instead of throwing away bread heels or leftover cornbread, use them to make bread crumbs. For use later, store them in the freezer.
31. Wrap celery in aluminum foil when putting in the refrigerator ~ it will keep for weeks!
32. Substitute half applesauce for the vegetable oil in your baking recipes ~ you'll greatly reduce the fat content! (Example: 1/2 cup vegetable oil = 1/4 cup applesauce + 1/4 cup oil)
33. To ripen avocados & bananas, enclose them in a brown paper bag with an apple for 2-3 days!
34. Brush beaten egg white over pie crust before baking to yield a beautiful, glossy finish!
35. In recipes calling for margarine, substitute reduced-calorie margarine to help cut back on fat! (same goes with sour cream, milk, cheese, cream cheese, & cream soups)
36. Place a slice of bread in hardened brown sugar to soften it back up!
37. When boiling corn on the cob, add a pinch of sugar to help bring out the corn's natural sweetness!
38. When starting your garden seedlings indoors, plant the seeds in egg shell halves. Simply crack the shells around the roots of your plants & transplant them outdoors ~ the shell is a natural fertilizer!
39. To determine whether an egg is fresh, immerse it in a pan of cool, salted water. If it sinks, it is fresh; if it rises to the surface, throw it away.
40. Keep the linings from cereal boxes ~ they make great substitutes for waxed paper!
**NOW Look what you can do with Alka-Seltzer**
1. Clean a toilet: Drop in two Alka-Seltzer tablets, wait twenty minutes, brush & flush. The citric acid & effervescent action clean vitreous china.
2. Clean a vase: To remove a stain from the bottom of a glass vase or cruet, fill with water & drop in two Alka-Seltzer tablets.
3. Polish jewelry: Drop two Alka-Seltzer tablets into a glass of water & immerse the jewelry for two minutes.
4. Clean a thermos bottle: Fill the bottle with water, drop in four Alka-Seltzer tablets & let soak for an hour (or longer, if necessary).
5. Remove burnt-on grease from a pot or pan: Fill the pot or pan with water, drop in six Alka-Seltzer tablets, let soak for one hour, then scrub as usual.
6. Unclog a drain: Clear the sink drain by dropping three Alka-Seltzer tablets down the drain followed by a cup of Heinz White Vinegar. Wait a few minutes, then run the hot water.
7. Get short-term relief from nicotine withdrawl symptoms: As long as you're not on a low-sodium diet or have peptic ulcers, drink two Alka-Seltzer tablets dissolved in a glass of water at every meal.
8. Soothe insect bites: Dissolve two Alka-Seltzer tablets in a glass of water, dip a cloth into the solution, & place the cloth on the bite for twenty minutes.
**Cure for headaches**
Take a lime, cut it in half & rub it on your forehead. The throbbing will go away.
**Use of soap wrapper**
Don't throw away the wrapper after removing a bar of soap. Place it inside your shoe cabinet or shoe box. It's a cheap way of filling the air with a nice smell.
**If your polished furniture has small scratches**
Try rubbing them with a shelled walnut. You'll see the scratches just disappear!
Put some tea leaves into a pair of stockings & stuff each into a shoe. Leave for a day or two & the smell just vanishes!
**If you have problem opening jars**
Try using latex dishwashing gloves; they give a non-slip grip that makes opening jars easy!
**Tips for stamp collectors**
Place the envelope in the freezer for a few hours. You'll then be able to easily lift the stamps off with a pair of tweezers.
**To keep buttons from dropping off**
Dab a drop of clear nail polish onto the thread the secures the buttons. This will harden & make it more difficult for thread to break off.
**Are cockroaches in your home driving you mad?**
Try this tested trick. Fill a large bowl with cheap wine & leave it under the sink. The pests will drink it, get drunk, fall in the bowl & drown...easy!
**To avoid hurting your fingers while hammering metal nails into the wall**
Hold the nails with a wooden clothes peg instead. So even if you miss, you won't get hurt.
**To take the tears out of chopping onions**
Plug in a portable fan & turn it to high. It'll help blow away the fumes from your eyes - no more tears! [Also, try cutting the onion in a few chunks and placing it in a bowl full of ice-water to soak for several minutes before chopping.]
**Potatoes will take food stains off your fingers**
Just slice & rub raw potato on the stains & rinse with water.
**To get rid of itch from mosquito bite**
Try applying soap on the area ~ instant relief!
**Ants, ants, ants everywhere!**
They are said to never cross a chalk line. So get your chalk out & draw a line on the floor or wherever ants tend to march - see for yourself!
**Egg shells can be used to clean glass bottles**
Break the shells into pieces, drop them into the bottle with a few drops of detergent & a bit of water, & shake vigorously. Then rinse with water.
**To return discoloured socks to their original colour**
Boil them in a pot of water with a few slices of lemon. The fruit acts as a natural bleach.
**Use air-freshener to clean mirrors**
It does a good job & better still, it will leave a lovely smell to the shine.
**If you have problem with slippery shoelaces which refuse to stay tied**
Rub them with a candle & make them less slippery so that knots stay put.
**If you have stubborn grease stains on your work clothes**
Add a bottle of Coke with detergent. It'll help loosen the grease.
**Renew the features on your old faded dolls' faces**
Blend in a cream foundation. Then apply a little rouge on the cheeks & nail polish on the lips. Waterproof mascara can be used on eyelashes.
**Dirty marks on your white court shoes**
Just drop some medicated oil on a piece of cloth & clean off those dirty marks on your white court shoes. They'll be looking as good as new again.
When you get a splinter, reach for the scotch tape before resorting to tweezers or a needle. Simply put the scotch tape over the splinter, then pull it off. Scotch tape removes most splinters painlessly & easily.