You're Getting Old If You Can Remember...
- Being sent to the drugstore to test vacuum tubes for the
TV or radio.
- When Kool-Aid was the only other drink for kids, other
than milk and sodas.
- When boys couldn't wear anything but leather shoes to
- When it took five minutes for the TV to warm up.
- When all your friends got their hair cut at the kitchen
- When nearly everyone's Mom was at home when the kids got
- When nobody owned a purebred dog.
- When a dime was a decent allowance, and a quarter a huge
- When you'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny.
- When girls neither dated nor kissed until late high
school, if then.
- When your Mom wore nylons that came in two pieces.
- When all your teachers wore either neckties or had their
hair done, everyday.
- When Bible reading and prayer started every school day.
- When you got your windshield cleaned, oil checked, and
gas pumped, without asking, all for free every
time. And you got trading stamps to boot!
- When laundry detergent had free glasses, dishes or towels
hidden inside the box.
- When any parent could discipline any child, or feed him,
or use him to carry groceries, and nobody, not even the
kid, thought a thing of it.
- When it was considered a great privilege to be taken out
to dinner at a real restaurant with your parents.
- When they threatened to keep kids back a grade if they
- When women were called, "Mrs. John Smith,"
instead of their own name.
- When being sent to the principal's office was nothing
compared to the fate that awaited a misbehaving student
- When girls look like girls and boys look like boys, not
the other way around.
- When the word "ain't" wasn't a word.
- When the word "standard" meant something.
- When gas was 25 cents, sodas a nickel and candy bars
jumped up to a dime.
- When you could leave home and not lock the doors, instead
of staying home with the doors locked.
- When people parked their cars in the garage instead of
piled it full of useless junk.
- When banks offered service with a smile instead of
- When a group of kids in the park wasn't something to
- When a doctor came to see you when you were sick.
- When you could fix your own car.
- When your friends had the same two parents clear through
- When the president was someone you looked up to.
- When professional athletes played sports because they
- When guns didn't kill people all by themselves.
- When immorality wasn't consider socially acceptable.
- When postage was 3 cents and mail actually arrived.
- When you knew the policeman by his first name.
- When people actually went to jail for their crimes.
- When a car accident wasn't a crime.
- When a crime wasn't an accident.
- When kids could work with their fathers without OSHA's
- When your mother baked bread and actually kneaded the
- When cookies weren't precooked and packed in cellophane.
- When the grocery store was locally owned.
- When you changed clothes after school to keep your good
clothes up to school standards.
- When you were proud of your father because he actually
worked for a living.
- When "Built in America" meant just that.
- When our flag was respected both abroad and at home.
- When your TV was black and white and 19" was huge.
- When the drive-in existed and you actually watch the
- When bottles were made of glass and tin cans wee made
- When mom always wore a dress in public.
- When people went to church on Sunday.
- When you pulled into the church parking lot on Sunday,
and the cars didn't have boats attached.
- When the minimum wage was $1.25 per hour and you could
actually buy something.